Friday, March 1, 2013

Surgery Day!

Chris and I got a nice Tuscany suite at the Peppermill for the night before surgery and he made sure I got a nice big English soaking tub in the bathroom.  It was fabulous!  We had my "last meal" at Biscotti's and then headed back up to the room to get some sleep.  I didn't sleep all that great because I was nervous and excited all at once.  I got up about 545 am and took a bath in the huge tub.  We checked out of the hotel room at 630 and headed over to the hospital.

First, they did all the paperwork (signing consent forms, paying for the surgery, etc.) and then waited back out in the waiting room for the nurse to call me back.  It didn't take too long before I was called in and had to undress and get in the sexiest outfit I've ever seen.





'
I had a nice purple paper gown, blue socks, and these super sexy leg massagers that would be turned on during surgery.  You know you're jealous.
 
I had to have my blood work done that morning, so the lady came in to do that and then the nurse came in to put in my IV.  She numbed my hand first which was...AMAZING!  Slight sting from the numbing medication, but I felt nothing afterward.  Why don't they do that all the time!?
 
It seemed like FOR. E.VER. before the anesthesiologist came in.  Luckily, we had HGTV (my newest addiction) to entertain us me while we waited.  Once Dr. Hansen (the anesthesiologist) showed up, it was all downhill from there.  He was hilarious and helped me not to feel so anxious. 
 
He said that Dr. Murphy likes the operating room temperature set at 60*.  Thankfully, Dr. Hansen promised he would get me in a nice little "heat sandwich" (heated blanket below me and on top of me with a personal heating system hooked up to my gown) so I wouldn't get too cold.  After a little more joking around, he brought out the goods.  He gave me a cocktail of an orange labeled medicine and a little bit of a blue labeled medicine and about 15 seconds later I felt fabulous.  See??
 
 
 
I remember telling Chris that I could feel the effects of the medicine and the next thing I knew, I was waking up in recovery.
 
I was a little surprised at how quickly I was discharged.  I don't remember getting dressed and barely remember getting to the truck.  That Facebook status I sent saying surgery was done and I was heading home -- yeah, that took me about 10 minutes to type out and send.  I was pretty out of it and ended up sleeping most of the day.
 
I had every intention of updating each day, but it's been a rougher recovery than I expected.  The doctor told Chris after the surgery that my chest muscles were so tight to begin with that my recovery was going to be more difficult and then I got sick about 7 pm from the anesthesia.
 
I'm starting to move around a little easier, but I'm still in a lot of pain.  I'll update again tomorrow (or later today technically) about more details on the recovery and may post the first set of before and after pictures!

1 comment: